Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Movies in Advertising..wait I mean Advertising in Movies


I came across this article about movies that basically revolve around advertising. This article kind of reminds me of a previous blog I wrote a while back, about advertising in video games because it practically gives me the same feeling, which is being annoyed. Its bad enough that products depict the class of the character but what really gets me thinking this isn't the best of ideas is the ever growing movie ticket prices. Now production companies have to pay for the usage of companies like Chryster, or McDonalds so they basically have to compensate for that, by hiking up ticket prices. I for one live for going to the movies whenever I'm home from school I attend movies with my mom once maybe twice a week, and now it's getting harder for people to afford regular tickets.

With movies like Harold and Kumar, its about their adventure in reaching the destination of White Castle. If it weren't for that movie I probably wouldn't have ever heard of White Castle, and to this day I still have yet to go, but I definietly still want too. I wonder how much the movie had to pay to use not only the restaurant in the movie, but also in the title itself. I've seen Harold and Kumar, and have to admit I did enjoy it, but I do kind of get annoyed at the logistics behind the movie itself, would the movie have been nearly as successful or would you have seen it if it were called Harold and Kumar Go To Burger Town? Probably not.

This is a question I believe worth exploring, because now having a product like Progresso Soup or BMW getting associated with a movie, may ultimately determine the success of the movie, it may come to that it is no longer about the story or the actors involved in the film.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/04/05/who-wants-more-advertising-in-movies/

7 comments:

  1. I agree Erin. I never even knew what White Castle was until I heard about this movie. I only saw bits and pieces of it because it was not even worth my full attention. I also agree that White Castle probably benefited off of this movie a lot. If it was named after some other random burger joint no one knew about, I am sure the movie would not have been so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad grew up in the Bronx, so I had a pretty great understanding of White Castle; we started a tradition about 6 years back, White Castle's for Christmas Eve dinner (along side the real traditional x-mas feast).. But, my dad's on a diet, so that ship has sailed. Anywho, advertising in the movies is something I never really thought about before coming into this major, but it has a huge affect on people. If you see you favorite celebrity in a box office hit, lets say, drinking a Diet Coke, you're gonna want one. Same goes for clothing they were, the cars they are driving, places in the film, these are all things that get the attention of the audience and subliminally send the message to them to go get that product. It has now sort of taken over in films and some probably think, oh well that doesn't make me want to go get it, but really, it probably has affected them in one way or another without them knowing. And the prices of movie tickets these days?! IS THAT A JOKE? They used to be no more than 3 dollars. Those were the days..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that in addition to using the restaraunt in the movie that since it's had such a large audience, that people will start to think differently about White Castle? I think that because of the movie, it has gained somewhat of an ideology -- a cultural belief and value placed on White Castle by society, that it is a 'stoner' joint and that the novelty of going to White Castle is to satisfy the munchies. Think about it, if you heard of people from southern Ct taking a road trip to White Castle, what do you think they'll be doing on the way there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a post similar to this and I agree with all of the points you've made. I think it's a shame that the quality of a movie, ultimately, can come down to what endorsement deals were made.

    Whether it's Burger King in the Iron Man franchise or White Castle in the Harold & Kumar films, it's logical that being able to identify with a fixture in the movie brings RECOGNITION to the movie.

    It's just unfortunate that everything has come down to money, money, money. Some of the best movies these days are independent because they just don't have the funding that major endorsements provide. The distractions aren't there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Product placement. I just finished a marketing paper in which I touched upon this subject. I think it is genius for products to get involved in this. It is everywhere, not just movies....i.e. Coke on American Idol. I dont know how exactly this movie was funded but i am sure white castle paid for most of it... the movie did not pay white castle. Many companies want to put their products in movies so their competitors wont. There is a process of putting products in and companies bid for their product to be placed. For example, the movie Castaway, fedex paid for a majority of the film because the movie was a giant advertisement for fedex. There was a good amount of screen time throughout in which fedex was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. White Castle agreed upon letting the movie use their name because they new it would be positive press for them and a good way to create brand awareness. Many of you said that you did not know of white castle before the movie, and that's probably because you guys don't live near NY. Since i am on the boarder of NY i have been to white castle and have eaten it many times. Since this is only because of the area i live in, this movie created an awesome job at making people aware of the brand who don't just live close to one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you think back of the time when movies were only $8 bucks? I can and it probably was about middle school. Before we knew it, movies cost nearly $14 depending on where you go to see them. I think the price of the ticket has officially took all the fun out of going to the movies. And you may have given a good reasoning for why it may sky rocket so high, along with others I'm sure. Ads are everywhere we go, and if they are placed in movies you can be sure that the movie won't be cheap. I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of seeing so many ads everywhere. I'm tired of being targeted by companies I could care less about. Just let me watch the MOVIE, not the White Castle Ad.

    ReplyDelete